Windows is too slow - let's try Linux

Today I decided to try Linux again as my desktop operating system. Here is an assessment how it worked out - especially for people who have other things to do in their lives than operating systems.

Windows

Windows was slow and had a lot of hiccups where it would suddenly stall for some seconds. Reboot button did not exist any longer, instead a message that power options are not available. It suggested updating to Windows 11, but said my beloved VMware Player would then cease to work. So, time for a change... to Linux.

Considerations

What I don't want is constant switching between operating systems. Live has better things to experience. Also, what I don't want is a USB installation that forgets the WLAN password and all my settings on reboot.

Functionality

The functionality I need is:

  • Video Editing - I do it via wevideo.com, this is available where Chrome is, so, as well on Linux and Windows
  • FreeCiv - my favorite game is available both on Windows and Linux (and the reason I do not entirely switch to a Chromebook)
  • Proctored Exams - this is a hard one. When I do my exams, I do it remotely, and the exam factory requires me to install spyware on the laptop to make sure I do not take screenshots. So, secure operating systems are a no-go. On the other hand, do I really want to use an operating system just because it is NOT secure? I will use my son's Windows computer for my proctored exams then.
  • My Polar (health&sports) watch needs Windows software to update its firmware. Bad luck, Polar, then I won't update it.

Experiences

I found it astonishing how advanced Ubuntu is today. You can boot it from a USB stick, quickly enter your WLAN password, and you are all set - even with two screens like I have them. 
Ubuntu Linux 2010 works out of the box


There are two groups of disadvantages that I found, one that is due to the fact I am running from USB stick, the other is thanks to Ubuntu itself.
  • running from USB stick
    • won't save your WLAN password. Installing software using apt-get is impossible, you have to use snap.
  • Ubuntu disadvantages
    • fingerprint reader does not work. There are many hints how to get it work, but they don't work for me.
    • as said before, some manufacturers like Polar require you to use Windows for some functionality. Or to install spy software on your computer. I will find work-arounds for that.

Conclusion

Now that webmeetings and video editing works in the browser for me, Linux has become a viable alternative for the desktop for me again. Especially I like how easy the two-monitor setup of Ubuntu is. On the other hand I am sure I will miss the fingerprint reader functionality :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Set up a webcam with Linux

PuTTY: No supported authentication methods available

My SAT>IP Server