PuTTY: No supported authentication methods available

Today I got again this error message when trying to connect PuTTY to my Google Cloud VM: “No supported authentication methods available”:



This time I decided to write down exactly what I do to get rid of it. Here it is:

  • call puttygen, generate a public/private key pair by clicking on "Generate" and moving the mouse a bit:


  • copy the blue part to the clipboard using CTRL_C

  • save the private key as private.ppk, the public one as key.pub.

  • go to Google Cloud Console, search for Metadata, click on it:


  • paste the ssh public key there, but make sure to replace the username with your username:
  • click on metadata and set OSLogin to false:
  • Now start putty, enter a session (I use linuxintro.org in the example screenshots), click save:

  • select connection -> SSH -> Auth, add the private key file for authentication, then click open:


  • don't forget to go back in putty to the front page and save:


  • Then click on open and see:

it works :)

TroubleShooting

server refused our key: got this when I did not replace the username in the public ssh key by the username that I use to log in in putty

Further food for thought

Sources and references

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Set up a webcam with Linux

My SAT>IP Server