MobaXTerm

I often have to install software on Linux using a graphical installer. Pure PuTTY will not work with this, as it does not allow for graphical output. The solution is MobaXTerm:

xeyes running in MobaXTerm on Windows

I really love this tool (I am not affiliated and do not receive any benefits for this statement). I can do my work that I could not do before like:
  • using a Linux editor like kwrite to edit text files on Linux
  • use a browser to install ERP software which I need to do sometimes in my job
  • use a graphical installer to install ERP software
  • create a bastion host without the need to pay operating system licenses :)

But how do you install it so that it works with your VM? Let's take a Google Cloud VM:

  • generate a public/private key pair by calling puttygen and clicking on "Generate" and moving the mouse a bit:


  • copy the blue part to the clipboard using CTRL_C

  • save the private key as private.ppk, the public one as key.pub.

  • go to Google Cloud Console, search for Metadata, click on it:


  • paste the ssh public key there, but make sure to replace the username with your username:
  • WRONG:
  • RIGHT:

  • click on metadata and set OSLogin to false:



  • download and install MobaXTerm
  • start MobaXTerm and configure a new session:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Set up a webcam with Linux

PuTTY: No supported authentication methods available

My SAT>IP Server